Saturday, September 09, 2006

My WebCT Page and Number of Courses Listed

I've been gathering bits of information that might be useful (and cannot be stored in my memory banks) so I'll include them here on the blog as time permits.

As the number of courses in which an instructor or designer is enrolled increases, the time the system takes to display the My WebCT page seems to exponentially increase. Sometimes the time lag is so great, users think the page has failed to load. An inquiry to our TSM at Blackboard resulted in this response: "I asked our engineers and they said there is no limit [to the number of courses in which a user can be enrolled]. We have some admins in over a 1000 courses. However, once you start getting above 100 courses the user will see performance problems because the database is querying for every course, every tool, every update, for every section. It is best to enroll in only what is necessary. "

No comments: